Tuesday, December 17, 2013

You Are Not Alone


Teaching yoga to a class thats full is a great opportunity to show practitioners how we can support one another. Whether it is the simple touch of another hand on your leg during a supine twist or the gentle touch on your shoulder as a row of yogis stand in tree lifting their hearts to the sky, it lets you know you are not alone.


In my own life, I am keening aware that I have not gotten to where I am without the help of others. Being in this grounded place in my life, I continually let those who have mentored me know exactly how much that have impacted my life. 


In recent weeks, I have had the opportunity to meet an extraordinary man, Antonio, who spends his free time helping woman and girls to take notice of their inner beauty. Antonio, an amazing hair stylist who works in the sometimes superficial world of beauty and fashion, has made a connection to this community of women, bringing them a deeper understanding of the true source of beauty. I was drawn to Antonio as we are similar paths of giving back to the world and letting others know they are not alone.


Over the past few months, I accompanied Antonio to meet with teenage girls at various homeless shelters in New York City, under the direction of Women In Need (WIN). Antonio brings his thoughts regarding various aspects of life: bullying, beauty on the inside, and role models. I bring the infinite tools of yoga including the power of breath, looking inward and listening. Both Antonio and I are giving back because somewhere in our own hearts it's what we intuitively know we must do.


“Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern nor Western, it is human.” 
 Malala Yousafzai


Collectively, we stimulate thoughts within these girls, getting them to discuss their issues and challenges, particularly the circumstances they are currently in. We ultimately provide them tools to use and show up bigger in their life. 


It's not perfect, but the seeds are planted and the girls are empowered with the possibility of showing up more informed in any given situation. Take for instance, one girl who stated she used her breath to keep calm in a stressful situation that could have turned physical.


Another girl became present to some of the pain she was feeling inside her body and correlate it to her current situation of being homeless during our breathing exercise.


These girls are experiencing life and noticing their bodies in a new way. All of this because someone is stepping up to show them that they are not alone. 


"I raise my voice not so that i can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard” 
 Malala Yousafzai


In our last visit, Antonio brought the book, "I am Malala" to the girls and read excerpts from it. He explained that Malala was no different from anyone of the girls in that room. The only difference was the violence done to Malala that pushed her into the spotlight. 



Malala's story is about educating girls so they can strive for their dreams. It's a story about  hope and possibility by way of access to education.



All of the girls were intrigued and engaged! 

At the end of the discussion, one girl whispered to her friend, "I wonder what happened to her." I prompted her to speak up to Antonio and the group. As a result, all of the girls wanted a copy of the story to read it themselves. They were excited to think they could read her story and be empowered! And that we could get them a book. 


So this Christmas, Antonio and I are on a mission to take up a collection of copies of the book "I am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai, so each girl can be inspired by her story, to come into their own greatness. 


If you or your friends/family are interested in contributing by purchasing one of these books for one of the girls, please email me at: messywhiteelephant@gmail.com


I will respond to your email by providing you details of where you can send your purchase. We are looking to collect a total of 50 books by January 15, 2014. All proceeds from the purchase of the book go to The Malala Fund


Life is short, so get messy!




No comments:

Post a Comment