Monday, November 25, 2013

Give Thanks to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly


When you have a child, you spend all of your time teaching them to live their life to the fullest. 
Dream BIG!
Live Out Loud!
And Do the Impossible!

But when the time comes for the umbilical cord to be severed, as parents, we get uncomfortable.
We come undone. 

Because sometimes the way they cut the cord, isn't necessarily the way we would have wanted them to. 
We take it personal, as if our child has a script to this all.

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the opportunity to be a parent.
I am thankful for the moments I have had as a parent.

The ups and the downs.
The joy and the pain. 

I am thankful to have a son who is an amazing person, with a good heart and big dreams.
And despite not agreeing with some of the choices he makes in his life, I respect him for being who he is.

I respect him for being him.

Every now and again, I pull out this poem I wrote for him a few years back, as a reminder that he is on his journey, not mine. 

I wish him nothing but success, love and happiness.
And I will continue to hold space for him on that journey! 

For My Son
Where have you gone
my little boy
leaning on the rails of my past
When I was inspiring you to think, to change, to be
And all you wanted to do was ask


Where have you gone
my little man
sitting tall with your sax in hand
smiling as the sweat poured down
and all you wanted to do was frown



Where have you gone my almost adult
strumming a guitar like a star
in the shadows of the New York sky
when all you wanted to do was fly


Where have you gone
It all escapes me
But not in the photos of my memory
You, must BE!


Happy Thanksgiving

Life is short, so get messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment